Saturday, November 13, 2004

My relationship with "original sin"

One of the creeds of modern christianity is the notion that we are guilty somehow for the sins of Adam and Eve. Joseph Smith taught clearly "that man will be punished for his own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.". (Articles of Faith: 2)

What does that mean as far as understanding correct doctrine? It means that I am free of the guilt associated with Adam, and have only my own sins of which to repent. I am not bound by what someone did 6,ooo years ago, but only by the choices I have made during my own earthly sojourn.

Joy, happiness, peace, these are the things that the Savior offers. If we cling to wrong traditions, we can never obtain them. Understanding that we are responsible only for our choices allows us to remove unwarranted guilt, and seek forgiveness of the Savior in a manner which He prescribes.

I will write later of the third Article of Faith, which describes how mankind may be forgiven through the atonement of Christ. Suffice it to say now that you and I have a path to eternal life through Jesus Christ, and through our repentance of personal sin, and that we are not held accountable for the sins of our fathers, no matter how far back we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home