Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Home Teaching...

I have never been a great home teacher. Even when I was the bishop of the ward, Home Teaching was one of my more difficult challenges. I don’t know why, really. I love the members; I care about their salvation and progress. Heck, when I get there I usually even enjoy the conversation.

Take tonight for instance. I home teach with my wife, and we visited with a couple new to our “route”, but dear friends for many years. We talked about the Ensign message from Pres. Hinckley, we talked about the naysayers at the temple during the Christmas programs, we talked about talk-radio, and we talked, and talked, and talked. An hour and a half later, we had prayer and said our good-byes.

So why, with such a fine experience, do I, and about 50% of my brethren struggle so much to get out and see our families? It shouldn’t be. I live in Phoenix, and all of my families live within one mile of my house. I could walk, bike, or drive. I could see all of them in one night if I had to. So why don’t I? Why are home teaching and visiting teaching numbers declining? I remember in my singles ward we reached above 90% consistently, and even had one month where we were 100%. Now, our ward averages about 45% home teaching, and not much better visiting teaching.

Help!!!!!