Friday, February 11, 2005

No Way, Jose

I was thinking one day, as I am wont to do, and I thought "wait a minute. If Joseph Smith was married to all those young beautiful women, where are all the kids?" I did a little amateur research and came up with nothing. Nada. Stories about Joseph's attraction and attractive-ness to women, but no progeny. None.

Hmmm...I don't think so. I researched a little further. It appears that many of the women who were sealed to Joseph were polyandrous marriages, that is, the women were marred to other men and never lived with Joseph. I wonder if Joseph even knew about the sealings? At the time, it was thought that they had a better lock at exaltation if they were sealed to the prophets. What were their husbands thinking?

I lost the original research, but I think there were around 30 women, give or take. Most were ver young, under 25, some in their teens. If we assume that maybe five were actual polygamous marriages, it is crazy to believe that of those five nubile young women, not had a child. My husband's ancestor had five wives and their descendants are legion. They are known all over southern Utah, and parts of Nevada.

Mormons have big mouths. If Joseph had any children by these women, somebody would be singing loud and proud, like President Young's descendants. But we never hear about them. I believe that Joseph Smith did not, in fact, marry any of these women, for the simple reason that there are no descendants of Joseph Smith, except from Emma. I do not believe the church is capable of keeping that kind of secret or that there would be any purpose to it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do some more research. It's out there. Joseph had children. People did talk.

11:27 AM  
Blogger anne said...

no, it's not. Prove it. Show me one solid evidence that one single descendant of Joseph Smith, other than through Emma, is alive today. There should be hundreds, maybe thousands, if the rumors are fact. I contend they are not.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Clark Goble said...

Compton's Sacred loneliness is the best book on the subject. There are about three reasonably claimed children with one of them being fairly plausible. No absolute evidence though.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacred Lonliness is the book I got a lot of my research from, which I can't find. I know there is some evidence that he was sealed to some women, but my premise is there are no descendants from these women. The book almost proves my premise by listing all those young women. Where are the children, grand-children, great, and great-great grandchildren?

7:50 AM  
Blogger anne said...

LOL, I'm not anonymous, I just can't figure this out.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Kaimi said...

The best evidence appears to be for Silvia Sessions Lyon. See http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/08-SylviaSessionsLyon.htm .

There's also a rumor that Eliza Snow was pregnant with Joseph's child, but that she miscarried after Emma, who had been unaware of the marriage, caught them kissing and threw Eliza down the stairs. (That rumor is discussed in the Emma biography).

11:58 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

I know there is evidence that he married and impregnated Eliza Snow. I've heard that Emma threw another woman down the stairs, as well, and she lost her child.

My point is, where are they today? Did they all die out? No way. No way. They would be all over Utah if those women had had children. I think he did love and marry Eliza Snow, but they had no children. I'll check out that site. If my computer will do it.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Odd discussion. Of course Mormons could keep a secret--they kept polygamy secret, didn't they? The reason Joseph started with polyandry ("sealing" himself to other men's wives) was, some argue, primarily to avoid the complications of unmarried pregnancies. In the era before contraceptives, "complications" were a major concern of those who, uh, sowed their seed widely.

9:01 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

If it was a secret, how do we know about it? We know where the descendants of Brigham Young are, John Taylor, Lorenzo Snow, etc., but there are none alive today descended from Joseph Smith, except through Emma. Everybody talks about their polygamous ancestry.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Ilike it.I have Totally Free dating site for singlesTake a look if you have a minute. Thanks and have a good one!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Chlora said...

Just wanted to say great job, nice blog!

Amateurs

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home